Sunday, July 31, 2011

Citizen Hobo: How a Century of Homelessness Shaped America - Todd DePastino

I ran across this book while Googling Nat Wills, as he's featured in the book because of the nature of his "Happy Tramp" character. In an embarrassing admission, I actually got this book as a 2010 Christmas gift from my husband but hadn't managed to read it until now, when I managed to sneak it in just under the wire for my July theme. I thought this book was an interesting overview of how society has viewed people who don't have permanent housing, whether they are called tramps, bums, hobos, or "the homeless," even if it was a wee bit tainted by the "ivory tower" attitude commonly held by academics, who often seem to have no understanding of the "real world" outside of their insulated jobs on college/university campuses. Still, it was an interesting read and had some good Nat Wills source materials I can seek out for my continuing research.

No comments:

Post a Comment