Sunday, June 1, 2014

The Blackhouse - Peter May

This was a mystery/crime novel that unfolded through a well-done use of flashback to tell the overall story. The author has a gift for vivid description, such that even though the setting, part of the Outer Hebrides islands off the coast of Scotland, is wholly unfamiliar to me, I was able to picture it easily and vividly in my mind. Apparently this is the first in a trilogy with the same main character and setting, and I look forward to reading the next two books. I'd also happily read the author's other books.

As an aside, if you go to the author's web page, you can see video of the island, access maps and book information, hear audio of a native speaker pronouncing Gaelic names (very helpful for someone like me who is sadly ignorant of Gaelic!), and even download a free app with all this helpful info to have on hand as you read.

No comments:

Post a Comment