Sunday, August 9, 2020

Blindspot - Jane Kamensky & Jill Lepore

This book might have the distinction of being the longest resident on my TBR pile. Yet another Library Sale shelves book, the description was intriguing so I picked it up - and then it gathered dust until now. 

This is yet another book that makes me wonder what on earth took me so long to read it. It’s a well written historical novel set in 1760s Boston, and functions as an homage to literature of the period. The authors are both historians and scholars, so they have included wonderful details, like newspaper announcements and stories, and fun wordplay, that really add to the period feel. The authors include slavery and the racism that was rampant in these days (not that it’s gone now, but that’s another blog) and it does make me regret that the founding fathers didn’t eradicate slavery and put their money where their mouths were regarding “all men are created equal” (we won’t touch the status of women, that’s another another blog) when they formed the United States of America. One critique I have of this book is that I could have done with fewer scenes of people “getting busy” if you know what I mean - but that was minor and didn’t spoil my overall enjoyment of the book. 

All in all this was a really fast read that was hard for me to put down. Recommended. 

Side note - reading a book set in 1760 when a tropical storm has knocked out your electricity definitely helps the reader feel as if they are in the book's time period! 

No comments:

Post a Comment