Sunday, May 15, 2022

View from a Hill - Mark Burgess

Another favorite band is The Chameleons (sometimes called The Chameleons UK in the US). Weirdly enough, I don't remember where or how I first heard them, I just have this impression that I have always really liked them. This autobiography tells the story of the band from the perspective of one of the band's founding members/lead singer. When I was a lot younger I wanted to be in a band, and this book made me both wish I could have made it happen and also feel thankful that it never did. Wow, record companies are some of the shadiest "businesses" out there! However, being in a band seems to consist of like 75% getting drunk/taking drugs/fighting with bandmates, 20% fighting with record companies, and like 5% playing and writing music so who knows, maybe I got the better end of the deal after all. This book was very well written and was an enjoyable, illuminating read. 

The main takeaway: if you are ever wondering about what the lyrics to your favorite song mean, it's most likely something to do with alcohol/drugs. LOL

Don't worry, there are more Joy Division books coming soon too, ha ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment