Saturday, January 23, 2021

Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

Have you ever been sure you've read a book, but when you went to re-read it, nothing seemed at all familiar? So it was with this book, which I would have sworn I read years ago (long before this blog). After watching the recent mini series, I thought it would be good to re-read. While reading, I kept waiting for that moment of recognition - and it never came! Of course, some things seemed familiar because I had just seen them depicted on the screen, but.... Maybe I only thought I read the book? Who knows. 

In any case, there isn't much I can say about this book that hasn't already been said. Many of the concepts and events seem slightly dated, as they are products of the time in which the book was written, but at the same time the universal themes (including, in my opinion, "what does it mean to belong") always apply. It's a classic for a reason and well worth a read. 


No comments:

Post a Comment