Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Hubert's Freaks - Gregory Gibson

The subtitle of this book is The Rare Book Dealer, The Times Square Talker, and the Lost Photos of Diane Arbus, which sums it up succinctly. As I think I have mentioned before, I have a real love for early 20th century entertainment, including things like dime museums, freak shows, sideshows, and of course vaudeville. The titular Hubert's was an established freak show in Times Square that was a bit more of a mid-century institution, but would have been something I would have loved to have visited had I been born a generation earlier. Although this book is more about the discovery of a treasure trove of materials relating to Hubert's and the people who performed there, it reads almost like a novel. I would have liked to have learned more about Hubert's and the performers, but that is research I can do on my own. A fast read and an interesting story.

No comments:

Post a Comment