Sunday, May 8, 2022

Reading Behind Bars - Jill Grunenwald

The closest I have ever come to being in a prison is a visit to Folsom Prison, which has a cool museum for visitors who like the Johnny Cash song but have no other business being there. Having watched shows like Oz, Orange Is the New Black, and even Prison Break, I can honestly say I have no desire to ever get a closer view of what goes on behind the walls. Luckily people like the author have more courage than I do, and can provide first-hand accounts, in this case from the perspective of a prison librarian. This book covered the importance of libraries in general to society, and the importance of information access to everyone, including people who are incarcerated. I imagine having access to a library could really make a difference to someone who might be trying to get their life back on track. I do have a question for the author - did the young man she recommended The Great Gatsby to like it? A fascinating look at a world most of us will never see for ourselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment