Sunday, July 10, 2022

The Guncle - Steven Rowley

So what constitutes a "beach read?" In my opinion, it's a light story that can be picked up and put down as needed during some leisure time. This book qualifies as a great beach read, but it also has some depth, as it tackles love and loss. I really liked the titular Guncle, and not just because one of my dearest friends just bought a house in Palm Springs, ha ha. I will say that the writing was kind of so-so. Characters behaved erratically sometimes, and it seemed arbitrary and random; there were random clunky sentences here and there and the usual amount of "telling, not showing" that abounds in contemporary bestseller type books. That said, I would read the author's other books, so make of it what you will. A kind of strange book club choice but enjoyable enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment