Monday, May 28, 2012

Save the Deli - David Sax

This was one of the more than 70 books I got for a song on one of the last days Border's was open for business - I paid a whopping 40 cents for this book. While reading it, I was in a constant state of hunger based on the descriptions of the delicious deli food. I love deli food, and I haven't really had any authentic deli food in years. It's so sad to think that so many family-owned and -operated delis are going out of business thanks to the ongoing "mallification" of America (and other parts of the world). Why people pack those horrid corporate chain restaurants is beyond me. It's so disappointing that the world is basically becoming an open-air Mall of America (which is awful, in case you're wondering). I'm glad that there are some people who are dedicated to preserving a wonderful cuisine and providing a quality product. This book, although originally published in 2009, has a listing of delis around the US and some international delis too. Makes me want to get in the car and hit the nearest one right now (although I will probably do some research to make sure the place hasn't closed in the past 3 years). Save the deli indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment