Thursday, September 6, 2012

Young Goodman Brown and Other Tales - Nathaniel Hawthorne

When reading books for the Color-Coded Reading Challenge, I try to choose books that use the titular color as a color, i.e., The Man in the Brown Suit, but had to make an exception because believe it or not, brown is not a common color in book titles - or at least not common in book titles on my TBR pile and/or in my library! So it was that I ended up reading this book of short stories. I had read a few of these stories in school/college - The Minister's Black Veil, The Birthmark, etc., but the majority of these stories were new to me. Once again I have to say I wish I could have read these in a discussion group; it would be fascinating to discuss the themes. My new favorite has to be The Artist of the Beautiful (it's on Project Gutenberg if you want to read it as well; I know I'll be re-reading it in the near future!). Recommended.

With this book, I have officially completed this year's Color-Coded Reading Challenge. I really like this challenge, it's a fun way to discover books I might not otherwise encounter. Thanks to Bev for hosting it again! There is still time to register for 2012 if you want, so go check it out! If you're still reading for this challenge, feel free to comment with good books you discovered for next year, since I will definitely be participating as long as Bev hosts. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment