Friday, November 23, 2012

The Portable Dorothy Parker - Dorothy Parker (Edited by Marion Meade)

Dorothy Parker is a writer whose work I have been meaning to read for ages now, so when I found a copy of this book at half price during the Borders going out of business sale I eagerly purchased it. What an amazing writer Mrs. Parker was! Her writing was able to evoke such clear images in my mind, even in a very short story. Although there was the celebrated humor she is still well known for, there was a lot of emotion as well. Many of her short stories absolutely skewered the kind of self-centered, narcissistic, toxic person I cannot stand, and it felt good to know that there is someone else who has taken note of such horrors and served it up in a dish as entertaining as it was cold. To be fair, there were a couple too many stories that seemed to have a woman pining for a man, and although I enjoyed the poetry selections included in this volume I preferred the short stories and reviews. As with many of the books I have read in the past almost 2 years now, I am really glad that I read this now, as an adult with a lot of life experience, although I still wish I had read it sooner - if that makes any sense. Highly recommended.

A nice side note is that I have now officially completed the Mixing It Up Challenge - hooray! That was a really fun challenge and I hope to do it again next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment