Wednesday, August 3, 2016

The Tree House Mystery - Carol Beach York

The bookshelves I use for the books I have read and want to keep had become sort of unruly, so I did some maintenance - removing books I realized I'm unlikely to ever read again and finding places for newer books. One of my shelves is mainly children's books that I like, including this one that I found on the library sale shelves. However, I realized that I had simply put the book on the shelf without reading it, so I decided to fix that.

Sexism - yikes. Why would a little girl tear a dress playing in the woods - shouldn't she be wearing jeans or other play clothes and not dresses? The mother is sooooo happy to have time to herself - to get her kitchen in order. Sigh. It's amazing how ingrained these things are in children's books, even from the early 1970s.

I shouldn't complain too much though, overall the book is a light, quick read. I do think I will redonate it to the library sale however.

No comments:

Post a Comment