Saturday, October 29, 2016

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao - Junot Díaz

This is another book that I feel like I heard a lot about in the book blogosphere and that I have mixed feelings about. On the one hand, the characters felt kind of real; on the other, it seems like the author is daring us to like them. The shared Dominican Republic/New Jersey setting is refreshing - I don't read a lot of books (OK, any books) about the DR or people from there, so it was good to get some history and cultural knowledge. On the other hand I feel like the tone of the book is supposed to hit us somewhere between realistic and magical realism and I'm not sure where it lands. So while I found this book easy to read (the footnotes and the intermingled Spanish terms, which seem to have bothered a lot of Amazon reviewers, were fine with me) and I didn't dislike it, I also wasn't sure what to make of it generally.

Have you read this book? I'd love to discuss it, leave a comment!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read this, but one of my favorite YouTubers highly recommends it, and it is rare that I don't like her recommendations. I look forward to giving it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi B.B., I'd love to hear what you think of it when you do read it! It's definitely a book that has stayed in my head, and I'm still thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete