Sunday, April 2, 2023

Secret Connecticut: A Guide to the Weird, Wonderful, and Obscure - Anastasia Mills Healy

April's theme is: books I have been putting off reading for no good reason! 

When I travel, I love to seek out places that are, as the title suggests, weird, wonderful, and obscure. Sure, it's fun to hit the main tourist sites and all that - imagine visiting Paris and not seeing the Eiffel Tower, for example - but I love offbeat stuff so this book appealed to me on that level. 

Who knew that Connecticut, one of the smallest states in the U.S., had so many weird places?? I had no idea that the inspiration for Arsenic and Old Lace took place there, or that the Amistad was docked there. There is a bridge with huge frog statues, a brain archive, a hotel with a helicopter in one of the rooms, so many interesting places to see. The author's writing style is very clear and conversational and she makes everything sound like someplace I want to visit. If you are planning a trip to Connecticut, this book is a must-have. Recommended. 

No comments:

Post a Comment