Friday, March 31, 2023

The Death and Life of Zebulon Finch - Daniel Kraus

I know 3 books seems like a small amount for a month's reading, but this third and final book in the March  theme is a whopping 642 pages long, so in effect it could have counted for 3 full books in itself. This YA book* is in fact "Volume One: At the Edge of Empire" and covers the titular character's life and ... well, second life? from the turn of the 20th century until the 1930s. The writing is great, and for the most part the characters feel really alive in the sense that you may not agree with everything they do, but they seem like real people. There is a lot of attention to detail that I appreciated. There were times here and there that I felt the book could have been just a wee bit shorter, but the story kept me going. Apparently there is a sequel which I would totally read. Recommended. 


*I'm sensing there was a theme in that cardboard box

No comments:

Post a Comment