Sunday, August 30, 2026

Discovering Moths - John Himmelman

How much do you ever think about moths? I confess I don't think about them too much, except if I am reading after dark near a window, and my cat is stalking the moths who are attracted by the lamplight. A couple years ago I did notice a hummingbird moth visiting some flowers in front of my house, and that was a delightful sighting and also puzzling, as I didn't realize that many moth species are actually active during the day. 

If you would like to learn more about moths, this book is for you. The subtitle says it all: "Nighttime Jewels in Your Own Backyard - Eastern North American Species." This was a really fun and informative book. The writing is great and the author is quite funny. The book features lots of illustrations and a ton of cool color photographs of moths, making it a great reference. It would make a great gift for anyone who is interested in nature, or who likes to watch birds. Recommended. 

No comments:

Post a Comment