Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls

I don't know what to say about this book. I admire the author's inner strength, intelligence, and fortitude, and obvious writing talent, but I couldn't help but be irritated by her (understandable) need to seemingly apologize for so much of her parents' behavior - which was horrible. I'm not sure there is a word in English that conveys just how horrible I think her parents were. They were people who never should have been in the same room with a child, let alone had 4 that they basically refused to take care any kind of care of. I don't care how the parents grew up - I'm tired of bad behavior being excused by a bad past - they should have done better for their children. I'm amazed that the author was able to end up being very successful based on her appalling childhood, and I am glad that she seems to have escaped it. In fact, maybe growing up the way she did made her more determined to succeed than she would have been if she had had the other extreme of bad parenting, today's "helicopter parents" that smother their children... who knows. This book really made me angry the whole time I was reading it and now I am desperate for a palate-cleanser - I hope I can choose one from my enormous stack of Borders bargains!

No comments:

Post a Comment