Monday, August 27, 2012

Beautiful Disaster - Jamie McGuire

Saw this book mentioned in a NetGalley email and thought the description sounded intriguing, and  I needed a book for the "romance" category for the Mixing It Up Challenge so I thought I'd take a chance. I must preface this review with the disclaimer that I am absolutely not the target market for books of this kind. Having said that, this book was OK, but fell prey to the fatal flaw of most Hollywood romantic comedies: the premise seems interesting and funny and full of possibility but the reality is a standard silly romance that should have been a 100 page Harlequin book aimed at precocious 10 year olds. It even has the cliche of what film critic Roger Ebert calls the "Idiot Plot Misunderstanding" - a stupid misunderstanding that could be cleared up in a 2-minute conversation but to create "drama" the minor misunderstanding is not cleared up promptly (as opposed to something that would actually be dramatic and interesting). So to recap, this book is absolutely not aimed at me, and it was OK for what it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment