Thursday, August 9, 2012

In The Woods - Tana French

When I started this book, I immediately fell in love with the narrator, the writing was great, and I was excited to have found a book I could fall in love with. Sadly that did not entirely come to pass - although I enjoyed the book overall, the middle sagged a bit. The ending didn't necessarily live up to my expectations, but on the other hand, maybe this was more true to life in a murder investigation than the neat and tidy wrap up most fictional mysteries provide (and I'm not someone who needs everything to be wrapped up in a mystery, or needs a happy ending, etc.). There was a character that I think I figured out sooner in the game than I was supposed to, although again I'm not sure if that was deliberate on the part of the author in order to make the narrator an unreliable narrator, or if it just happened. All this said, I would read the author's other books. I thought the writing was beautiful and I look forward to reading more of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment