Sunday, October 11, 2015

Don't Look Now - Daphne du Maurier

Found this book on my office's book exchange shelves a few years ago, and assumed it was a novel, like Rebecca, which I read last year. So I was surprised to find out that this book is really a collection of short stories, most of them suspenseful. I enjoyed the creepy atmosphere of the title story, and "The Breakthrough" and "Not After Midnight" were creepy,  if baffling; I'm still puzzling over some of the events. "A Border-Line Case" was disturbing in an entirely different way, and had a relentless air of menace. In many ways, these four stories, despite differing on all the broad strokes, had a lot of little phrases and details that seemed to repeat, which I guess only makes sense, since they have the same author. I have to say that I enjoyed the final story, "The Way of the Cross," the best. I liked the shifting points of view and the different atmosphere that was more about the characters. All in all I think fans of creepy or macabre stories would like this collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment