Friday, September 8, 2017

Auntie Mame - Patrick Dennis (Spoilers?)

As a big fan of the film Mame, starring Rosalind Russell, who even enjoys the Lucille Ball musical version, I can't believe it has taken me this long to read this book. Yet another lucky Library Sale find, this was just what the doctor ordered. The semi-subtitle printed on the cover, "An Irreverent Escapade," sums it up neatly - it is definitely irreverent. It's also sort of a joyous escapade, one I'd dearly love to visit, Jasper Fforde Book World style.

As a film fan, I will say that the second half of the book diverges significantly from the film versions, but that is not a bad thing. I kind of like that the book is its own entity. And to be honest, the films' changes make way more sense from a narrative point of view, unifying the story and providing a more obvious narrative arc. I will let you know that one of the signature film lines is conspicuously missing from the book, so kudos to the stage or screen adaptor who coined it, it fits beautifully, and is one of my favorite quotes.

Apparently there is a sequel to this book; I might have to check that out. In any case, this is a fun little romp and I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment