Wednesday, September 27, 2017

The Given Day - Dennis Lehane

This book is a classic Library Sale find: it looked interesting on the shelf, I happily paid 50 cents, and then... it got set on the physical TBR pile and got dusty. After reading it, I kind of get why - the time period in which the book is set (early 20th Century) is interesting to me, and the back cover description seemed interesting but also possibly depressing, and the book itself is just over 700 pages (!) so it's not a casual, quick read.

Now that I have finished it, I can say that although I liked some of the characters I think the same story could have been told in far fewer pages. Some of the subplots just seemed unnecessary, and many scenes in the book just ran long when I didn't think they needed to. So although I enjoyed it for what it was, on the other hand, I have mixed feelings in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment