Wednesday, February 1, 2023

You're on an Airplane - Parker Posey

February's reading theme is: books I bought at the dollar store. In the U.S. (not sure if other countries have this particular chain, although I know there are versions of this store all over the world) we have a chain called Dollar Tree, which sells a wide variety of merchandise including cheaply made versions of everyday products (plastic organization bins, picture frames, greeting cards, office supplies, makeup and nail polish, cleaning supplies, kitchen gadgets, seasonal stuff, snacks and candy, etc.) as well as "overstock" merchandise - mainly stuff that didn't sell in a previous store at regular price - for $1.25 (it used to be a dollar, but the prices have gone up slightly). Among all the other stuff they actually have a small book section that I of course check out if I happen to be there, and sometimes I find something I can't resist. February's books are these random $1.25 book bargains I stumbled on that have found their way to my TBR Pile. 

And now, on to our first such book! 

I am a big fan of Parker Posey, so when I saw this book I snapped it up without a second thought. She pops up in so many interesting projects, like Search Party, which is a totally fun series I love that is on HBO Max these days, classic comedies like Best in Show, and my two favorites of hers, Clockwatchers and Party Girl. So imagine my delight with this quote from the book: "I can always tell the Party Girl fans because they look fun" - I certainly hope I look fun. But something tells me I couldn't hold a candle to the author, who seems like she would be simultaneously fascinating and exhausting to hang out with. 

The conceit of this book is the title - it's structured as if you are seated next to the author on a flight and the book jumps around from topic to topic like a long conversation might. Unlike a typical autobiography that might start with childhood and run chronologically through a career, this one is literally all over the place. We do cover the typical scope of her life and career, just not in an "orderly fashion." There are lots of things I wouldn't mind hearing more about, so perhaps we'll get "You're on Another Airplane" in a few years. A fast, fun recommended read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment