Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Roseanna - Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö

I resolved to read some book series this year, and the Martin Beck series by Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö is one of them. I found out about this series when I found one of the books in a thrift shop for about 50 cents. The book caught my eye because the cover looked vintage (it's from approximately 1970) and I enjoy a good crime novel, so I picked it up. Of course it wasn't the first book in the series, but I got lucky and stumbled on Roseanna on the Library Sale shelves and was able to at least get started. The next several books might have to come from the library.

I enjoyed this book overall, it was a decent police procedural, and because it was originally written in 1965 things moved at what even now is probably a more realistic pace, with letters taking longer to reach their destinations, people having to use public pay telephones, no cellphones/email, etc. Martin Beck is rather stoic as a character, and I don't feel like I know him very well but on the other hand he is sympathetic, and I do want to read more about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment