Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Corrections - Jonathan Franzen

This book was recommended to me by a couple of reader friends, so when I found a copy on the Library Sale shelves, I eagerly grabbed it. Sadly, I can't say I enjoyed it as much as my pals apparently did. On the positive side, some of the dialogue was outstanding - it perfectly captured the manipulative, circular way midwestern people of a certain age speak, to the point where I could picture people I have known in my life that spoke in exactly this way. I did finish the book, as I was curious enough about what would happen that I didn't give up. On the other hand, much of the writing was pretentious claptrap; this book could have been half as long. Some of the things that happen are pointless and implausible. Three or four of the minor characters were so loathsome to me I was honestly hoping they'd come to some bad end as a catharsis. So all in all I can't recommend this book, unfortunately.

No comments:

Post a Comment