Friday, March 2, 2012

The Man in the Gray Flannel Skirt - Jon-Jon Goulian

I was prepared to dislike the author and his memoir, to roll my eyes at his privileged upbringing and his unsettled life. However, I was unable to dislike him; I found myself really enjoying his voice, his sense of humor, and his way of describing events from his past. He seems to be trying to answer a two-part question in this book, namely "why am I the way I am and what's the point of it all?" I can't answer the second part, as I don't know either. I will, however, take a stab at the first part and say, you are the way you are, i.e., the titular man in the gray flannel skirt, because you knew that your family loved and supported you. They may not have understood or agreed with everything you have done over the years, but deep down you know that they care and that they love you. Not all of us are that lucky (I certainly wasn't) but I'm happy that you were/are, and I enjoyed your book. And if you ever figure out the second part of your question, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment