Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Drowning Barbie - Frederick Ramsay

This is the latest Ike Schwartz mystery, and I enjoyed the return in setting to Picketsville. The first page of the first chapter had me laughing and it contained a fantastically accurate description of Las Vegas. After all these books ( I believe this is number 9) I feel like I know the main characters as people, and I really like them. So much so that one of the events in chapter one had me grinning from ear to ear while I was reading.

This lighthearted beginning was a welcome change from the more serious, sad subject matter of the book's main story, which of course is to be expected of a murder mystery. I think the author does a nice job of moving between a very disturbing subject and some lighthearted material, so that overall the book's darker portions are balanced well. There was some ground laid in this book that I am sure will pay off in future books, and I look forward to seeing how that happens. The creepy cover is great, and the title works on many levels. Another enjoyable book in one of my favorite book series. If you're a mystery fan, you'll love Ike Schwartz and the entire cast, so be sure to check these books out! Highly recommended.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that I noticed very few typos in this book - this is unfortunately not the norm these days, so kudos to Poisoned Pen Press for doing such a great job!

No comments:

Post a Comment