Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Displaced Persons - Derek McCulloch and Anthony Peruzzo

This was an inventive graphic novel that tells the tale of several generations of a family in San Francisco. It's also a puzzle that I am still thinking about; I'm still putting together in my mind how some of the pieces fit together. I really liked the concept, and I definitely wanted to spend more time with some of the characters. I think the author did a nice job of showing some of the characters' inner motivations for us, within the constraints of a graphic novel. I suspect you could reread this several times and pick up on more details/pieces of the story each time.

One issue I had is that my digital version was blurry on all the pages that were traditional "comic/graphic novel" pages. The title pages and etc. were fine. I don't have a Kindle, so I read ebooks on Adobe Digital Editions, and I have never had that happen to me before - the images are usually very clear. Obviously, this made it harder for me to read the book, as I had to really decipher some words, and I'm sure the illustrations would have looked better if they had been clear. The only thing that helped somewhat was using the "fit to width" option, as that enlarged the writing, making it a bit easier to read, but it was still blurry. I hope this is just a fluke and that others didn't have this problem, as it detracted from an otherwise enjoyable reading experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment