Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Frontier Resistance - Leonie Rogers

What a fantastic book! Rather than falling in to the sequel trap of simply rehashing the first book, this second installment in the Frontier series takes that story from the first book and brings it to another level. The author has obviously thought out this imaginative world very thoroughly and carefully, and worldbuilds* very well. We learn more about Frontier as well as the Garsal, Starlyne, and other aspects of the setting and the overall story and find out important information about some of the characters that helps us understand their motivations and actions. At all times I felt like I was reading about a real place the author happens to have first-hand knowledge of.

Picking up exactly where we left off with Frontier Incursion, this book was virtually impossible for me to put down once I got started. I liked how the story built suspense - the first book did this well too, with multiple story threads that you know are going to converge, but it's a nice build up toward that inevitable conflict. The pace is relentless but in a good way - the plotting is well done, with no "bloat" that just bulks up the story with no real purpose.

Once again, my only complaint is that I will have to wait for the next book to see what happens next. On the plus side, while I wait I'll have plenty of time to catch up on all the little chores I recently put off so I could keep reading - ha ha! Fantasy fans, snatch this series up, you won't be sorry.

*I don't think this is a real word, but I'm using it anyway, since it conveys what I am trying to say very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment