Thursday, October 9, 2014

Sugar Street - Naguib Mahfouz

After finishing the previous volume of this trilogy, I found I wanted to spend more time in Cairo so I decided to read the last book right away to see what became of the family.

Something I meant to mention in my last review is the titles of these books relate to the locations of where family members live, and also then show the reader where the book’s focus is. For example, the first book refers to Palace Walk, the location of the father's house; Palace of Desire is the location of his children's (adult) homes; and Sugar Street follows the lives of the grandchildren's generation more closely. These books obviously show a lapse in time, and the associated societal changes that any society experiences over time.

All in all this was a rewarding trilogy of books and I am happy to have read them.

No comments:

Post a Comment