Saturday, December 26, 2015

Travels With My Aunt - Graham Greene

Not sure what to think of this book. I had heard about it, obviously, and I had heard it was really funny. Since starting this blog, and starting to read Greene, I assumed I would like it. I also managed to see the 1972 movie version over the summer, so I kind of knew what to expect in terms of the overall plot, etc., but I was looking forward to experiencing the book for myself.

I have to say I was disappointed. Maybe it's just too much holiday revelry or something, but this book fell flat for me. I didn't find it particularly funny, and the storyline didn't draw me in as much as it raised questions in my mind that have no answer that I could find. I'm not really sure what to make of it. I'm sure part of it is that it's supposed to be "shocking" to the reader in some ways, but the "shocking" elements are not particularly shocking to 2015 readers.

The movie and the book differ significantly. I have to say I prefer the movie - it makes a lot more sense and tells a coherent story, which the book does not. Oh well, luckily there are many more Greene novels to discover, and I am going to assume that I will enjoy most of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment