Monday, December 21, 2015

Banned Books Challenge 2016

Looking forward to this eye-opening challenge again in 2016! It's hosted by Christine at Buckling Bookshelves, and you can get all the info and sign up here. Once again it works well with my other reading plans. I managed to exceed my goal for the 2015 challenge, but I'm still going to aim for the Trouble-Maker level of 3-5 books in 2016 to ensure success, in case this isn't a great reading year or something. I already know I have one book that fits this challenge, and no doubt I will discover many more.

As usual, I'll keep track of the books I read for this challenge in this post as I go along.

1. The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky (#8 on the ALA list of frequently challenged books, for [partial list] "drugs/alcohol/smoking, homosexuality, offensive language, sexually explicit, unsuited for age group.")
2. Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck (#12 on the ALA list of frequently banned and challenged classics; I list some of the reasons and discuss them in my review)
3. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot (this book is on the ALA's list [found here] of "Books written for YA audiences, those featuring a YA main character, and classics that regularly appear on high school required reading lists.")
4. To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee (appears on the ALA's list of "Banned and/or Challenged Books from the Radcliffe Publishing Course Top 100 Novels of the 20th Century" found here; main reasons are language/profanity/racial slurs including the N word and racism).

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining again! Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Christine, and thanks for hosting this challenge again. It amazes me how many books I read that fall into these categories - just shows why this challenge is important!

    ReplyDelete