Thursday, January 5, 2017

TBR Pile Challenge 2017

Once again, I am just going to do my own TBR Pile Challenge this year, which will work in conjunction with the Mount TBR Challenge. Here are the 12 books (and 2 bonus books) that I plan to read this year, in no particular order:

1. Main Street - Sinclair Lewis. I feel like I should have read this book a long time ago but it never happened, so now is the time.

2. The Beautiful Things that Heaven Bears - Dinaw Mengestu

3. Sula - Toni Morrison

4. Les Précieuses Ridicules - Moilère. This is a vintage copy (there's a name and the year 1912 written on the inside cover) of this play in French, and I need all the practice I can get, so now's the time.

5. The Given Day - Dennis Lehane. Are you sensing the theme that these are Library Sale shelf finds that found their way to my TBR pile to collect dust? Yet another one to finally get read already.

6. The Oracle of Stamboul - Michael David Lukas. Just to mix things up, this is a Borders Last Days Sale book that's been gathering dust in with the Library Sale books.

7. Out - Natsuo Kirino

8. Devil in a Blue Dress - Walter Mosley

9. Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee - Dee Brown. I had this as a bonus book last year, and managed to avoid it, because I think it will be really upsetting, and that is a stupid reason not to read a book. So this year I will make it happen.

10. The Blue Sky - Galsan Tschinag

11. Black Boy - Richard Wright. Really looking forward to this one.

12. Gypsy: A Memoir - Gypsy Rose Lee

Bonus books:

1. Fatherland - Robert Harris. This book has been on my pile for ages and ages. It's an alternative history style mystery set in a world where the Nazis won World War II, and it was made into a HBO movie ages and ages ago, starring Rutger Hauer, who I think is dreamy. It's time to clear out this book!

2. Teach Us To Outgrow Our Madness - Kenzaburo Oe. Chances are I'll read this but just in case I run out of time or something.

2 comments:

  1. After you read #9, you HAVE to go there. You can stay in a small bed and breakfast nearby (you can even sleep in a teepee in their backyard), and they can connect with a wonderful guide. We spent a who;e day with him, it was so fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emma, thanks, that makes me feel better about reading this book! I really want to but at the same time it scares me. It would be good to visit these places, I will definitely keep that in mind when I read!

    ReplyDelete