Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Angels in America - Tony Kushner

This book is definitely a product of its times, as it's obviously set in the 80s and was written in the early 90s. It concerns characters who are in various stages of living "out" lives, and of coping with the AIDS crisis that was ravaging the gay community at the time of its writing. Reading it now, it doesn't have less of an impact emotionally, but at the same time, I wish I had read these plays in the 90s, as I think they would have had more resonance for me personally. The inclusion of Roy Cohn as a character is a good one, and in fact, it keeps the play feeling updated, as we are still dealing with closeted "homophobes" who profit by publicly spewing hate and bigotry against the LGBT+ community while privately living secret lives and lying about it. I've never actually watched the HBO film of these plays, but I really should - I would like to see these words translated into action. All in all this is a classic work that really captures the tumult of the time in which it is set. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment