Friday, October 20, 2017

A Room with a View - E.M. Forster

Sometimes when I read books, particularly British books, written in this era, I find myself bemused by the things some of the characters take as signs of bad breeding, or as insulting behavior. Not to mention the whole "betters" thing, and the extreme class consciousness on display. I realize that that is often the author's point - they are satirizing aspects of the contemporary culture - but I still find them baffling. Part of me just wants to scream - UGH, just let the two people who are obviously in love get together without all of this silly turmoil! On the other hand, the turmoil can be sort of amusing, even if it's also frustrating.

But I don't mean to sound like a grump. All in all I enjoyed this book and it was a pleasant read.

No comments:

Post a Comment