Friday, March 3, 2023

The Reading List - Sara Nisha Adams (Spoilers)

(This book is impossible to review properly without the use of spoilers, so please come back and read this once you've read the book if you'd like to avoid this :) )

*

*

*

March's book club choice was.... OK. I don't know why I just can't connect with these "bestseller" type books. I loved the premise: a mysterious list of books found by random people leads to them connecting in unexpected ways. As a bookworm, this is such a cool idea - and I confess that if I found a list of books like this I would want to read them all as well. And I totally got that the books on the list are related to what the characters in this book are going through - that part worked for me. But overall this book was just... OK. Are there truly no editors of any kind in the publishing world anymore? The writing itself is loaded with cliches and is just "meh" at best. Characters are introduced and then disappear. No one is described in a way that creates mental images. The suicide at the end of the story makes no sense within the context of the story as told - what would have been better is for it to have happened before the book begins, as then the characters who never read books before can connect through mutual loss over reading as a way to get closer to their loved ones and process things. And I will go on record as saying that people who have never read a novel in their lives are highly unlikely to pick up Jane Austen and immediately swoon (but maybe that's just me). I didn't hate this but I wanted to like it so much more than I did. 

No comments:

Post a Comment