Saturday, December 24, 2016

December Reread 6 - To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee

I was lucky enough (I guess that remains to be seen, actually) to find a barely used copy of the 2015 "sequel" to this book on the Library Sale shelves for $1, but I wanted to reread this book, which I think of as a favorite, before the sequel, so I'd have it fresh in my mind.

It's funny how perspectives change as we age/mature, and as society changes. When I first read this book as a kid, I didn't really pick up on the infantilizing tone the author can use when black characters are involved in the story, but it's more apparent to me now. One thing I thought was well done was the description of the poorer, or as some characters describe them, "trashier" elements of the town and its surroundings; I like how she draws a distinction between people who work hard and maintain a level of courtesy and personal dignity despite being poor, and those who refuse to do so; despite being set in the 1930s I feel like there are people who live this way today - in thought, if not in deed. Atticus Finch is a very dignified character and is someone to look up to.

I have heard some, well, interesting things about the sequel, so I look forward to seeing what it's all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment