Monday, February 29, 2016

February Reread - Pippi Longstocking - Astrid Lindgren

It's funny how becoming an adult (or, well getting older if not a lot more mature, ha ha) can change one's perspective on things. I read and loved this book as a kid, and I remember laughing and laughing over Pippi's misadventures and shenanigans. Having just reread this, I regret to say that some of the episodes in this book are more annoying than funny. Pippi thwarting burglars and bullies is funny, but reading about how she disrupts school or a tea party aren't so amusing. I guess what bothered me is that in the latter two cases, Pippi is shown as being actively annoying, doing things such as ruining a cake and then eating all of it, or disrupting a teacher's lesson, or disrupting a circus. So although these episodes are pitched as funny, and I'm not saying they're not at least a little amusing, I didn't like them because they make Pippi seem more malevolent than just someone really, fully being herself.

I hope this makes sense. And I don't mean to imply that I didn't enjoy the book, because I did. But with an adult's perspective, my view on this book did change.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely used to love Pippi also. My memory is my dad renting them and it being like a marathon. I have tried to find them for my daughter but haven't. I wonder if I would think differently as an adult also. Hmmmm, interesting perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marce! Is this one of the movies you are thinking of? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pippi_Longstocking_(1969_film) I remember seeing these movies too, and for some unknown reason I remember the theme song. I was surprised by my own reaction to this book, to be honest! It was still fun, but as an adult maybe I've gotten more "staid" over the years :)

    ReplyDelete