Monday, February 15, 2016

Kindred - Octavia Butler

I've been meaning to read Octavia Butler for ages, so I figured Black History Month was a great opportunity to finally do so. I had heard really good things about her writing, and I was not disappointed by this fantasy novel that I had a hard time putting down once I started reading. The narrator is compelling, and the storyline is well done, if horrifying - mainly because it reflects reality. It must have been so horrible to be a slave. I think the author captures a lot of the awfulness of how commonplace the dehumanization of slaves was, and how hopeless their situation could be. It's truly frightening to think of people, of human beings, having no rights at all. None. This book really brought that to life. It's a compelling story that keeps you turning pages while feeding your brain at the same time. If you like fantasy, or historical fiction, you should definitely read this book. Highly recommended.

As a note, I think I will make it a priority to read some of her other books this year, although I might have to put it off for a couple months as I catch up with the books I have currently lined up.

No comments:

Post a Comment