Wednesday, March 30, 2016

March Reread - Finn Family Moomintroll - Tove Jansson

Readers, I goofed. I thought this book was the first one in the series, and didn't double-check before I started reading. So now I've re-read this book out of order. Sigh! Oh well, if that's the worst thing that happens to me this week, that's not so bad, eh? ;)

I loved this series so much when I was a kid. It's so imaginative, and the author's illustrations are fantastic. The Moomins are soooooo cute! Even the more "unpleasant" characters aren't too bad, and are in fact usually rather cute as well. As an adult I identify more and more with the cranky but amusing Muskrat. I like that there are "problems" in the book, but they are not that big of a deal, and are solved fairly easily, with no true strife. This is a nice book with nice characters who are generally kind, and a welcome antidote to the less-nice aspects of real life. Recommended.

2 comments:

  1. I would say that Finn Family Moomintroll and Arthur Ransome's Swallows and Amazons tie for my number one favourite children's book.

    Don't feel too bad. I was going to read this book too this month, and then discovered for the first time that it's number three and I've actually never read #1. So I bought it and it should be at the post office waiting for me. I can't wait to read a "new" Moomin book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read Swallows and Amazons, I'll have to add it to my "recommendations" list! I'm glad I'm not the only person who somehow thought this book was the first one. :) Maybe they were published out of order in English or something? How exciting that you get to read a "new" Moomin book - that is a wonderful surprise!! I hope it's wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete