Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Percy Jackson 1 - Rick Riordan

Work got busier than usual recently and curtailed my reading, but I think I am back on track. Just finished Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief and my reaction was "meh." It was OK, but didn't make me want to read any of the other books in the series, etc. It seemed like the author was trying too hard to sound like a 12 year old or appeal to the average 8 year old and I can't stand it when authors of books aimed at young readers talk down to them.  The book read like an attempt by a reasonably bright 11 year old to write a book, not a well-written, sophisticated book that would appeal to young readers, an important distinction.

On a related note, I had happened to see the movie on cable before I read the book, and I have to say I am surprised at some of the changes made in the movie. In some cases the movie seemed like it was dumbed down even farther than the book in an attempt to appeal to and be understood by the lowest common denominator, and in others the movie rightfully deleted some silly episodes. Just an observation.

ETA: I forgot to mention that one thing I felt Riordan nailed was the conflicting feelings of kids who feel abandoned by one (or both) parents. That felt very true and real and I appreciated his treatment of that since many people with no personal experience with those types of feelings get them very wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment