Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Tales of the City - Armistead Maupin

This is another book I have been meaning to read for ages and finally managed to read. I felt that I enjoyed 75% of the book, and the remaining 25% annoyed me. I think I will depart from my usual style and make a list for this "review."

Things I did not like about this book:
1. Many of the characters are Baby Boomers and I just can't relate to that generation.
2. The book was originally published in 1978 and is therefore a little dated, although from what I remember of those times it seems accurate.
3. I really wanted to like the first character we meet in the book but found this character irritating instead.
4. Some of the events that take place toward the end of the book seemed a little far fetched and crazy.

Things I liked about this book:
1. The writing itself is well done.
2. I liked most of the characters, particularly Michael.
3. It was fun to read about places in San Francisco that are familiar to me.
4. The author mentions my favorite soda, Tab, which was popular at the time and is still my very favorite. I start every day with a can of Tab, and it's always good to see it get some recognition!

All this being said, there are at least two sequels that I am aware of and I would definitely read them, as I do want to find out more about most of the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment