Monday, April 11, 2011

The End of the Affair - Graham Greene

The thing that strikes me most about Graham Greene is that I can't read him quickly. As a usually fast reader, I can zoom through short books, or books that are written in a contemporary voice, but in both this book and in Brighton Rock, his writing demanded that I read it slowly, taking my time, lingering over certain words and phrases and descriptions. I'm both sorry I didn't start reading him sooner and glad I waited, as I might have a different feeling about his writing if I were younger and had less life experience. I read the introduction to this book after I had read the book, as in my experience the introductions almost always give away everything about the book, and the author of the introduction seems to have had a problem with some of the events that take place at the end of the book. Strangely, I didn't, I was able to view them in the light of the story and they didn't bother me, but it was interesting to read another point of view. Another book that I think will live in my mind for quite a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment