Friday, May 6, 2011

Home Fires - Candace Schuler

The things I do for the ROYCZ Challenge!

One of the categories I chose for this challenge was romance novels. I am not a romantic or sentimental person and so I don't read this type of book, or chick lit, as these books are usually romantic and sentimental and all about falling in love and getting married and having babies and just YUCK. It's just not my thing.

This book was no exception. There is not much I can say about it except that it wasn't the worst book I have ever read. A couple random thoughts: This book was originally published in 1987 and the references to leg warmers and typewriters made me nostalgic. For some reason I kept seeing the title as "Home Fries" and that made me laugh. I also had somewhat (but not entirely) mean-spirirted thoughts about a sequel showing what life is like for the protagonists a few years down the road, when the glow of new romance is off and reality has set in and etc. Maybe I'll write it up, ha ha. I don't think Harlequin Books would accept it for publication.  Hmm, maybe I should start a publishing company devoted to parodies of romance novels... that could be fun. I'll have to think about that!

One of the best things about this book was that I got it for free on a book exchange shelf my office keeps for people to help themselves, so I didn't have to pay anything for it and it therefore qualifies for the Buck Stops Here Challenge too - hooray! I will be bringing this book back to those shelves for someone else to enjoy. And now, back to my regularly scheduled reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment