Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A Princess of Mars - Edgar Rice Burroughs

Mr. K has been recommending this series to me for ages, but I've been blowing him off because it's sci-fi/fantasy, and as I've mentioned, I don't have the patience for that genre anymore. However, now that they are releasing a movie based on this book and I prefer to read books before I see movies whenever possible, and this book will count for the Read Outside Your Comfort Zone Challenge (not to mention the Forgotten Treasures Challenge!), I thought this was the perfect chance to give this book a try.

I enjoyed this book for what it was - a sci-fi/fantasy book written at the beginning of the 20th century, and obviously displaying a lot of the beliefs and thought patterns that were typical of that age (for example, heroes wouldn't have flaws back then, while now it's expected, etc.). I did like John Carter, and the story kept me reading. I would not say no to reading the other books in the series, although they would not be top of my list either - luckily they are in the house waiting for me when I am ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment