Monday, November 9, 2015

Black No More - George Schuyler

Readers, this book was a revelation. It's a new favorite that I can't believe I had never heard of until I was researching books for this year's Harlem Renaissance Reading Challenge. I am not someone who laughs audibly while reading; I usually just smile when something is funny, but this book had me literally laughing out loud at times.

The drawback to this book (such as it is) is that so much of the types of thinking the author deftly skewers with his satirical wit is still on display in the year 2015. It's seriously dismaying to realize how little some things have changed since this book was first published in 1931. Some of the political hijinx could be ripped from today's headlines and no one could tell any difference between the fictionalized world of this book and the words and deeds of many people today. Which should scare you to your core and motivate you to be the change you seek and for Pete's sake, to vote in every election. (I'll get off my soapbox now!)

This book should be read by everybody. It's equally thought-provoking and entertaining. The writing is great. The message needs to be heard. Highly recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment