Thursday, November 26, 2015

Infants of the Spring - Wallace Thurman

I had originally planned to read The Blacker the Berry by the same author for this year's Harlem Renaissance Reading Challenge, but ultimately decided to read this book first. Now I really have to prioritize that book, most likely for next year's challenge, as this one was amazing, and I hear that book is even better.

What can I say about this book? It's a roman à clef, and I could guess at some of the characters' identities, but I could use a lot more education about the people involved to figure out some of the others. But all that aside, it's a great novel, dissecting the sometimes competing notions of the times and touching on race, class, what actually constitutes "talent," and so much more. I truly wish this book were twice as long, as I think there is so much more that could have been said, but maybe that's just greedy of me.

The author tragically died at the age of 32; what a shame that the world was not able to receive more of his work. Does anyone know of a good biography of him? After a quick trip to Wikipedia I really want to find out more about him as a person.

Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment