Sunday, January 10, 2016

Sweet Thursday - John Steinbeck

Couldn't resist this book after falling in love with Cannery Row last month. Why on earth didn't I get into John Steinbeck long before now? He has rapidly become a serious literary crush. Parts of this book really made me laugh. It was great to catch up with the characters from Cannery Row and see how they have changed (or haven't, as the case may be). In some ways the love story was silly and farfetched, but that didn't bother me much, since the book as a whole is so entertaining. I even like the characters I don't like, if that makes any sense. Hasn't everyone known a person like Mack, who tries to do the right thing and is all too often thwarted by fate or life or whatever? The only drawback to this book is that there are no others to continue this story. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment