Thursday, March 20, 2014

The Night Listener - Armistead Maupin

Do you ever get what I like to call "book hangovers?" I used to get them all the time when I was younger - I'd finish a book, but my mind would be absorbed by and somewhat "stuck" in the world of the book, and it would be hard to transition back into real life. I don't get them too often any more, but this book gave me a doozy. When I finished the book, I felt really out of it and all I wanted to do was think about the book and the events that had transpired. I actually had some things I had to do and I was super resentful that I couldn't just concentrate on what I had just read. And then I found out it's based on a true story - ! There is so much to continue thinking about here.

I have enjoyed the books I have read so far from the author's Tales of the City series, but in this book he blew me away with his ability to create an almost unbearable level of suspense and intrigue. The skillful narration was amazing - the narrator felt so real, so fully realized, to me, even though at times I wanted to slap some sense into him. Recommended.


No comments:

Post a Comment