Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Lake - Banana Yoshimoto

I first encountered Banana Yoshimoto in the early 1990s when some friends and I read and enjoyed her novel Kitchen, and I have subsequently read other books she has written, although I hadn't read any in a while. I was thrilled to find this book on NetGalley and get reacquainted with her. This book didn't disappoint; I felt like it was very personal and character driven, and I enjoyed being able to become acquainted with the main characters and see how this portion of their lives unfolds. The book is kind of meditative and unfolds in a very logical way that is also roundabout, making it very realistic - it seems to be written in such a way as to mimic the way life unfolds. I need to catch up on any of her books I may have missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment